Have you sewn with double gauze? Wait – what is double gauze? If you’ve been making your own wardrobe for a while you are probably familiar with double gauze. If not, I’m sure you know what gauze is, a very thin cloth – cloth so thin that you can see through it. We often think of gauze as loosely woven cotton that is used as a bandage. However, in the fabric industry, manufacturers combine two layers of gauze to create what is known as “double gauze” fabric.
Fiber content for double gauze can vary. At Crafthouse we typically offer 100% cotton for its incredible softness and drape ability. Why would you wear double gauze? In the summers we like wearing cotton that breathes and keeps us cool in the humidity but clothing isn’t the only projects you will want to make with this lovely fabric. Below are a few ideas I found on the Internet to inspire you to use double gauze in your next project.
- Adult dresses…Cloud9 and Schnittchen Patterns
- Kids Pants…Moon pants by Made by Rae
- Adult Tank…Tiny Pocket Tank by Fancy Tiger Crafts
- Whole cloth blanket…Rashida Coleman-Hale for Stitch Magazine
- Swaddling blankets…by Purl Soho
- Drool bibs…by Hemming Birds